ON: How I poisoned myself at 8.

I was a very lucky kid. I always had a cake for my birthday. Every year, my birthday would fall during the easter period. My mum was still a caterer then and she  got plenty of orders for easter cakes. Mine was naturally inclusive. So, on this particular birthday eve I was too excited to wait and started licking the icing sugar off the cake board. Then I went to bed only to wake up with terrible stomach ache in the middle of the night. I started throwing up violently. I thought I was going to die. Luckily for me, there was a clinic in our compound where I was rushed to. After I was stabilized, the doctor began to ask me questions. “What did I eat?” I told him everything I ate. Including the icing sugar. Then drama started. Apparently, my mum had surrounded the cake with broken pieces of camphor (that white round smelly stuff used to chase away roaches) to deter sugar ants from attacking the cake (it had happened before and it wasn’t funny). In my quest to be impatient and greedy, I had ingested camphor leading to food poisoning. I don’t know how much I ingested but I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if I had swallowed more than I did. Ever since then, you’d never catch me licking icing sugar off cake board. Well…except it was colored icing sugar.
I bet most of y’all thought it was a suicide attempt story. Bleh. 😂😂😂

2 thoughts on “ON: How I poisoned myself at 8.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *